Saturday, September 13, 2008

Am I Extravagant?

Ok, here's another random post. Last weekend when my parents and grandparents were here I learned a little lesson from my good ole' grandma. Thought I'd share the experience. I'm sure the picture drew your attention right? Well, we had finished eating dinner at my house one night and we needed a little sandwich bag for some leftovers. I looked in my drawer and I remembered that I was out of the small size but I had a box of the large size bags, gallon size I think. I grabbed one and handed it to grandma and told her that I was out of little ones but just go ahead and use a bigger one. No biggie right? She looked at me and said, "that's extravagant, honey". I thought she was kidding at first so I fired back, "what can I say, I'm an extravagant person". She looked a little apalled and said, "You are not!". So in the end we wrapped up the leftovers in plastic wrap and for the rest of the week I was worried I was an extravagant person without even realizing it!!! One of the last things I want to be is extravagant--well, once in a while is fine as long as I know it! Well, a different day but similar topic, we were again cleaning up after dinner (maybe I'm only extravagant after dinner?) and we were loading the dishwasher. Earlier we had purchased some of the little plastic red cups (see photo). She asked if I threw them away or if I washed them. Washed them?? Wasn't that the point of buying them, so you could just chuck them in the trash and not have to wash them? Well, I got a lesson that night from our dear Betty. Apparently, those red disposable cups can be washed in the dishwasher up to approximately 10 times. Those are the only cups she uses. She told me that
you know when to throw them away when you put your ice and coke in them and it spills out the bottom. So there's a bit of Betty wisdom. So now I feel way too guilty to just throw them away and any one who comes to my house is sure to see a pile of red plastic cups in my cupboard. The wierd thing about this whole experience is that now I'm associating it with everything else. You know those steamer bags that are freaking awesome? Well I used one today and I couldn't throw it away! Now I'll be washing all of those too! Wouldn't want to be an extravagant person...Thanks grandma!

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

I love! your grandma and grandpa. I can't help but laugh every 35 seconds when I'm talking to them. They probably think I'm the rudest person ever but some of the things they say and how they say it kills me. No worries, last night we were over there to tell them the BIG NEWS and she got me a drink. Jon yelled into the kitchen that I didn't need a cup. She came in and said "Honey I'm not serving a drink in a can." and gave him a repremanding look. It was in a red solo cup, the drink stayed in so it must have only had a few washes.