Thursday, August 5, 2010

I remember...blessing Rylan in a dress

Rylan with Grandpa Tubaugh
I figured I better write this down now because inevitably my son Rylan will ask me why on earth he got blessed in a dress and how I could do that do him. I know it's coming. But I feel justified in my answer so I'll share the reasoning.

First of all, it wasn't a dress. It was a "Christening Gown". You know what I mean. Those antique gowns that all babies wore for Christenings regardless of gender.

Now, my mother-in-law had her father's Christening gown and it is beautiful. Really beautiful. And this was Rylan's great-grandpa who is, from what I hear, an awesome awesome man. So when Elaine offered the gown to me to bless Rylan in, I jumped at the chance. I am such a sentimental person, especially when it come to family and lineage and all that.

So Rylan did in fact wear a beautiful dress at his blessing. He didn't seem to mind at the time. And even if he get's annoyed at me in the future, I feel I have a pretty good argument. It was such a special and unique thing to be able to do. So there it is.

No comments: