Monday, August 9, 2010

I remember...my birthday gift


Today was my 31st birthday.

It's funny how when you get older, the day seems less and less special. It's sad really how that happens.

I have never been one of those that feels bad on my birthday about aging. Who has time for that? I appreciate the years I have been given, every one. However, instead of a grand party like I may have had when I was five, I was home with the boys all day (with the exception of a quick trip to Walmart).

So, other than the phone calls from family and the million messages on facebook, the day was pretty ordinary. However, something so sweet happened that I wanted to use that as my memory for today.

I was in the bathroom getting ready for the day while the boys were in the other room playing together. I could hear Rylan talking to Aaden and playing with some uncooked Spaghetti noodles (don't ask). I started to pay attention to what Rylan was saying and I heard this:

"Okay, Aaden, this is mom's birthday surprise and when she comes out we yell 'SURPRISE!!', but it's a secret". It was so sweet that he thought of something like that all on his own.

So to give them a head's up, I hollered: "Okay, my make-up's done, I guess I'm ready to come out of the bathroom!"

When I walked into the front room Rylan yelled, "SURPRISE MOM! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" and they were both standing there grinning as wide as could be. Next to them, Rylan (I'm sure with plenty of unwanted help from his little brother) had arranged a design for me with the uncooked spaghetti noodles. It may have been the best birthday gift I have ever gotten.

Thanks my sweet babies.

1 comment:

AaronTara said...

That's adorable... I love it when the girls do their own special things for me. It makes all the bad parenting days fade away.