Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I remember...Rylan's Static Hair


Earlier this spring when the weather was MUCH more bearable than it is now, one of our daily activities was to go to parks in the afternoon. The kids loved it and would wear them out so they would sleep well. It was definitely a win-win situation.

There are a few parks we’ve fallen in love with this year. My very favorite park is in Montrose, right along the Mississippi River (and I mean it’s right there). I also love the view. Nauvoo is seated just across the river. And the Temple just sits and almost beckons you.

The park is so pretty and quiet and its also clean which is important for me when it comes to a park. The only drawback about taking the kids here, is that Aaden is about 6 months short from doing just about everything there except for the swings. And he does love to swing, but let’s face it, a person can only swing for so long.

So we went in search of a new favorite play park. We found it in Nauvoo. It isn’t a huge fancy place, but both Aaden and Rylan can climb the stairs and both can go down the slides. They have a lot of fun there. Also its usually quiet.

So my favorite memory regarding our park travels this spring occurred in this park in Nauvoo. Now if you’ve met my son, I’m sure one of your first thoughts went along the lines of, “wow, look at that hair”. And that’s cool. I for one love his long straight crazy hair. I’ve tried cutting and styling it every way I can think of but it just does its own thing in the end.

Well one day we were playing and Rylan went down the “twirly” slide (named by Rylan). I was at the bottom watching him come down and when I saw him at the bottom, I almost died laughing. It was the funniest thing. There must have been a huge amount of static electricity that day because every single hair on his head (so 5 billion) was sticking straight out and up. I couldn’t stop laughing. Finally, when I had composed myself, I did what any mother would do—run to her truck to grab the camera!

I tried to recreate the experience for my photo shoot but none of them ever were quite the same. We did come close. We all had so much fun that day. Aaden even loved the twirly slide that day. I miss those warm summer days. Hopefully, fall afternoons are on their way and those are even better!

No comments: