Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I remember...making cucumber boats and floating them down the ditch


The last few years my father-in-law has grown a beautiful garden. The other day they came to visit and brought a huge basket of veggies. Among the harvest were some huge cucumbers. It made me think of the times I made cucumber and zucchini boats with my grandparents (Hoskins) during the summers when they grew a little too big to eat.

My grandparents had a small irrigation ditch running in front of their home and it was so much fun to wade and play in as a child. The water was always cool and clear.

Grandma would pick huge cucumbers and hollow them out then make little “sails” with toothpicks.

We would stand at the tiny bridge and start the boats going then see whose could go faster. What a creative idea.

So in honor of that fun memory, tonight I hollowed out one of my big cucumbers and told my boys we were making a “boat”. Since we have no ditch like grandma, the bathtub had to fill in. They had a ball, just like I always did.

No comments: